[U-Boot-Users] Question on examples compiling

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Apr 11 14:01:07 CEST 2006

Dear Yuli,

in message <17467.38648.750449.731249 at astp0002.localdomain> you wrote:

> I won't exaggerate. Debian `unstable' is stable enough even for
> production use. For really unstable version, you have to use

Did you ever try to explain this to any manager  in  a  company  with
more than 200 employees? But agreed, that's off topic here.

> There are many discussions about what's really broken - make or
> Makefiles. The 3.81 caused entire Linux kernel to compile each time any

It is *obviously* make which is broken.

> problem. Fortunately, for the specific problem which is discussed here
> the future outcome of this argument does not matter because there is a

Yes, it does matter. Broken tools are a serious problem to all of us,
especiallyu when it's such basic tools as make ot gcc or ld.

> simple fix. I changed the order of dependencies in the examples/Makefile
> and the problem disappeared. I have no time to investigate if it's make
> or Makefile problem (though I personally think it's the latter). I

No. The result of a make run MUST NEVER depend on the  order  of  the
dependencies. This is plain unacceptable to me. I'm not even going to
discuss this.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Here is an Appalachian version of management's answer  to  those  who
are  concerned  with  the fate of the project: "Don't worry about the
mule. Just load the wagon."         - Mike Dennison's hillbilly uncle