[U-Boot-Users] Problem updating u-boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Apr 21 00:03:22 CEST 2006

In message <OF16472CC0.C242D283-ON65257155.00539AC9-65257155.00556F56 at flextronicssoftware.com> you wrote:

> I am facing a problem with u-boot update on my OMAP P2 730 target. Are
> there any build-time configruation options for u-boot build related to the
> target's NAND or NOR flash. In other words, do we need to specify any

Of course you have to configure U-Boot correctly. This  includes  NOR
and NAND flash like all other hardware features, too.

> I have U-boot 1.0.1 burnt to OMAP 730 P2 NOR flash. I am now trying to
> update u-boot using the method:
>
> - Download u-boot.bin (new version) to target's RAM using serial line
> - Copy u-boot.bin to target's flash using u-boot command 'cp.b'

OK.

> The u-boot version I am running presently is vendor supplied (version
> 1.0.1) and I want to update it with the one I have built (version 1.1.1)
> for my target hardware.

Ummm... Why are you using ancient code like 1.1.1? Please use current
code.

> I tried downloading the u-boot.bin to the P2 730 RAM over serial line to a
> specific address and triggered the binary's entry point using command:
> go 'start address'

That doesn't work. U-Boot expects to be started from the reset entry point.

> --=_alternative 00556F4E65257155_=

And NEVER post HTML on this list!

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
On my planet, to rest is to rest -- to cease using energy. To me,  it
is  quite  illogical to run up and down on green grass, using energy,
instead of saving it.
	-- Spock, "Shore Leave", stardate 3025.2