[U-Boot-Users] U-boot on rattler8248 - does not quite run for me

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Apr 21 09:58:35 CEST 2006

Dear Pete,

please keep the mailing list on Cc:

In message <CC3927BD446D8240AE6041EA3AB77EDF023515C7 at ES20SNLNT.srn.sandia.gov> you wrote:

> When I wrote "console" I was referring to the RS232 port on the
> Rattler8248 board.
>
> When the board boots it prints the following text to the RS232 port.
> That kind of introductory boot text is sometimes called a "splash
> screen".

No. With U-Boot, "splash screen" has another meaning; it's  something
we output on a graphics display (usually LCD). See the docs.

> CPU:   MPC8248 (HiP7 Rev 14, Mask 1.0 1K50M) at 400 MHz
> Board: Rattler Rev. @
> DRAM:  32 MB

If the board hangs here, it means that your SDRAM  initialization  is
broken; see the FAQ.

> Since the rs232 port is working I am adding puts() calls to the code to
> figure out where things are stalling. This is very slow because I have

Use a debugger?

> to burn the flash every compile-test cycle. I'm still learning to use
> the bdi2000 and I don't have WORKSPACE variable set in the [TARGET]
> section so flash programming is very slow.

Why the heck don't you use the BDI200 for it's main purpose  -  as  a
DEBUG tool?

> I guess I need to find where the processor gets lost. I could do that
> the brute force way by putting puts() calls in the code or I could use
> gdb on the relocated code. You provide some instruction on using gdb
> after relocation.

See the manual.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"This isn't brain surgery; it's just television."   - David Letterman