[U-Boot-Users] 83xx address translation: is it really necessary?

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Mon Aug 7 16:53:43 CEST 2006

I'm adding support for a new 83xx board, the 8349E-mITX.  For some reason, turning on address translation causes the board to halt.

enable_addr_trans:
	/* enable address translation */
	mfmsr	r5
	ori	r5, r5, (MSR_IR | MSR_DR)
	mtmsr	r5
	isync
	blr

As soon as the mtmsr is executed, everything stops.

So for now, I've disabled the call to enable_addr_trans().  I know I need to fix this bug, but my question is: why do we enable address translation at all?  My U-Boot works perfectly fine with it turned off, so what's the point?  U-Boot 1.1.3 didn't have this "feature".

--
Timur Tabi
Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale