[U-Boot-Users] How to load the second u-boot loader from first one

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Aug 10 21:44:13 CEST 2006

In message <7EA18FDD2DC2154AA3BD6D2F22A62A0E19D733 at zch01exm23.fsl.freescale.net> you wrote:

> I still do not think a RAM version u-boot is just "waste of time". It
> depends.

YMMV...

> If we only want to improve some part of the u-boot, such as "PCI", a RAM
> version might be useful. It is more convenience and cheaper.

No. Modifying the code, loading the image to RAM, booting  it  there,
finally  undoing  all  the  modifications, storing the final image in
flash, re-test everything is more effort and takes longer  than  just
using  the  original  code  right  from the beginning. Of course this
assumes you have either  ethernet  on  your  board  or  a  fast  JTAG
prgrammer  so the image download / flashing is a matter of just a few
seconds (remember that this can be a singlke command in U-Boot,  like
"run load update" :-)

> He can backup his flash image to a file with CodeWarrior +
> PowerTAP(BDI2000) before programming his new flash image.

If he can do this, there is zero need for a RAM image.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get  us  in  trouble.
It's  the  things  we know that ain't so." - Artemus Ward aka Charles
Farrar Brown