[U-Boot-Users] Compiling u-boot-1.1.4 for OMAP5912 OSK on ubuntu drapper

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Aug 18 14:46:56 CEST 2006

In message <BAY110-F350F6EE3F3D047C04AC30C6420 at phx.gbl> you wrote:

>       After searching for answer, my linux expert told me if I used sudo to
> make, ubuntu will switch to root and PATH is modified. I use sudo chown -R
> for u-boot folder. umm, my arm gcc is found.

No root permissions are required to build U-Boot.

And if somebody told you to use sudo for  this  purpose  then  he  is
definitely not entitled to be called "expert".

>      Anyway, I got error when gcc trying to complie hello_world.srec. it
> said 'no rule to make target need by all'

This is an indication of a broken version of the "make" tool on  your
system. Debian is known to have this problem, and probably Ubuntu has
inherited the broken version from there.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
When some people discover the truth, they just can't  understand  why
everybody isn't eager to hear it.