[U-Boot-Users] Submitting Patch at sourceforge fails

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Aug 22 12:25:47 CEST 2006

In message <00df01c6c5cf$b5d5aee0$ce4565d5 at atmel.com> you wrote:
> I have some new patches for the AT91 and the AVR32.
> Tried to submit them at sourceforge.net, but the submissions fails.
> Tried 4 times...
>
> Is it OK to post them at this list?

May I recommend to read the README? It  explains  in  detail  how  to
submit  patches.  lso, it has a section on Coding Style requirements,
which is mandatory.

> There are two tarballs - total size of ~360 kB.

Forget it. There is a size limit of 40 kB here on this list, and this
is more than enough for any patch.

> Support for new AT91 boards
>   AT91SAM9260EK
>   AT91SAM9261EK
>   AT91SAM9263EK  (also supporta AT91SAM9262)
>
> The AT91SAM9200DK support has been split into
>   AT91RM9200DK
>   AT91RM9200EK
>   AT91RM9200DF  (machine type 1119)
>      (generic AT91RM9200 running from dataflash)
>   There are some differences in use of I/O pins
>   Support for the MUX selecting MMC/SD or SPI
>   Support for AT91RM9200EK LEDs in scripts
>
> A new "drivers/atmel" directory has =B4been created
>   to allow files common to ARM and AVR32 to =
>
>   reside in a single location, instead of duplicates
>   in each board directory.
>
> Added support for new Atmel flash memories
>   0,13u parallel flash (AT49BVxxxD)
>   0,13u dataflash (AT45DBxxxD)
>
>   Changed dataflash partitions so that
>   partions start and end on a page boundary.
>   Now there are 6 partitions which have names.
>   * "Bootstrap"
>   * "U-Boot",
>   * "<Unused>"
>   * "Environment"
>   * "OS"
>   * "FS"
>   The start address of the FS and OS partitions are =
>   automatically set in the environment.

This is a list of MANY different  topics.  Please  split  these  into
individual, orthogonal patches as requested in the README.

>   If there are two dataflashes in the system
>   they can have different partitions.
>   Second dataflash has a single partition
>   at the moment.

Please make sure your partitioning code uses and works with the
"mtdparts" command.

> Ethinit command
>   Waits until there is a valid link on network.
>   Solves a problem when trying to tftp from slow booting PCs (Booting at th=
> e same time).
>   "ethinit ; tftp 21000000 <myfile>" =
>
>   will guarantee that the tftp occurs at the right time

Please chose a different name for this command (like  ethwaitlink  or
ethwait  or  so),  and  make  sure it can be used with other ethernet
drivers as well.

> Dynamic Machine-Ids
>   setenv machid <value>
>   if "machid" exists, U-boot will pass on this value instead of the precomp=
> iled value
>   allowing the same u-boot to boot both Linux-2.4 and Linux-2.6

I tend to reject this patch, as it will most probably lead to misuse
by people who fail to assing correct machine ID's.

What exactly is  the  problem?  I  was  not  aware  that  there  were
incompatible  machine id's between 2.4 and 2.6 Linux kernels? [And if
there ware any, this should  be  fixed  on  the  Linux  kernel  side,
shouldn't it?]

> Install feature:
>   Copies the resulting binary to /tftpboot

Rejected. This may be OK for you,  I  have  other  ideas,  and  other
people still other needs.

> X-Modem tool
>   sx-at91 (pinched from from www.at91.com forum)

Please explain what this is needed for, and why it should be included
with U-Boot.

>   Reliable download tool to be used with minicom.

Please note that we explicitely do NOT support minicom.

> Script downloading tool
>   raw-at91
>   allows downloading a script using minicom.

I will probably reject this.

>   A little easier to use than autoscript
>   Tool will download the environment file one line at a time and then wait =
> a short while.

Please use appropriate tools for such purposes, like expect.

> Default environment
>   This allows a fast setup/reset of the environment by running the "defenv"=
>  command.
>   It allows easier management of long filenames by automatically generating=
>  filenames / scripts
>   from "partial environment"
>   setenv linux xxx
>   setenv kernel-date 2006-08-12
>   setenv kernel-version 2.6.17
>   os
>   printenv linux
>   $ uImage-linux-2.6.17-2006.08-12.gz

This is probably only of very local interest. I guess I will reject
this.

>   "fs" will set the "rd" variable depending on the value of the "fstype", "=
> ver" environment variables.
>   "fstype" can be "ram" or "flash"
>   Several default disks are provided ("rd-1","rd-2","rd-3",etc.) and
>   the "ver" variable is be used to select between the disks =

Please don't add tons of whistles and bells that nobody needs. I feel
most of this is just code bloat.

>   Will also set "bootcmd" and "bootargs" to nice values

Maybe other people have other ideas of "nice".

Is there anything wrong with the currently used and  recommended  way
of dealing with booatargs?

>   The user can define his environment in the board support file.

What does this mean? We have been supporting this for years?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
We have found all life forms in the galaxy are  capable  of  superior
development.
	-- Kirk, "The Gamesters of Triskelion", stardate 3211.7