[U-Boot-Users] Submitting Patch at sourceforge fails

Ulf Samuelsson ulfs at dof.se
Tue Aug 22 21:02:15 CEST 2006

>> IIRC, For the the 2.4 kernel only supports the AT91RM9200DK
>> and the 2.6 kernel separates the AT91RM9200DK and EK.
>> so if you run on the EK (which most do, since the DK is obsolete)
>> you have a problem doing both.
>
> But the mach ID's for the AT91RM9200DK are the same in 2.4  and  2.6,
> right? So what is the problem? That there is no EK support in the 2.4
> kernel? Well, many other recent processors / boards are not supported
> in  2.4  either. So use the kernel where the EK is supported - 2.6. I
> think it would be wrong to use fake mach ID's.
>
>> The 2.4 kernel is ín a maintenance phase, and I doubt that
>> anyone will merge the AT91RM9200 patches into the 2.4 kernel ever.
>> Whatif the patch depend on the AT91RM9200?
>
> Sorry, I still don't understand what exactly is the problem.

Here is the relevant contents of mach-type.h

#define    MACH_TYPE_AT91RM9200             251               -Used by Linux 2.4
#define    MACH_TYPE_AT91RM9200DK       262
#define    MACH_TYPE_AT91RM9200EK       705                - Used by Linux 2.6

So the first definition defines a SoC, not a board, so in theory for an AT91RM9200EK
both 251 and 705 are correct.

This was probably not a good setup from the start, but the Linux-2.4 community is using 251.
Linux-2.4 does not recognize 262 and 705.
Linux-2.6 (correctly) does not recognize 251.
If I want to work with a customer and exchange kernels, then I will have to request them
to modify their source to a non-standard and only then can I solve their problem.
Not a good idea to me.

There is another, more compelling reason for having this patch though.
It is becoming more common for people to design System on Modules
where you have a small board with CPU, Memory and maybe an Ethernet MAC.
Customers would want these boards to be as ready as possible, and thus
have both U-boot and Linux running.
Then they add their own baseboard, and if they desire to register the combination
as a new machine type.
If they recompile the kernel using the new machine Id,then they have to recompile u-boot,
for the single purpose of changing the machine type.
Seems better to support changing the machine type using a setenv command.

Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson                ulf at atmel.com
Atmel Nordic AB
Mail:  Box 2033, 174 02 Sundbyberg, Sweden
Visit:  Kavallerivägen 24, 174 58 Sundbyberg, Sweden
Phone +46 (8) 441 54 22     Fax +46 (8) 441 54 29
GSM    +46 (706) 22 44 57

Technical support when I am not available:
AT89 C51 Applications Group: mailto:micro.hotline at nto.atmel.com
AT90 AVR Applications Group: mailto:avr at atmel.com
AT91 ARM Applications Group: mailto:at91support at atmel.com
FPSLIC Application Group: mailto:fpslic at atmel.com