[U-Boot-Users] Scripting Doubt

Ben Warren bwarren at qstreams.com
Wed Aug 23 18:16:40 CEST 2006

Ajay,

On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 21:36 +0530, Ajay Jain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an elementary doubt regarding u-boot scripts. I will explain
> this by taking an example. Let the script be
> setenv my_script setenv a 5 \; setenv b 5 \;
> On the u-boot prompt, I can run this script as "run my_script". Is it
> possible to save this script in some way in the uboot image itself, so
> that when I download uboot, I have this variable set in the
> environment. Basically I am looking for some kind of compile time
> support, the way it happens for bootcmd. I went through the
> documentation, but it only talked about running scripts by downloading
> a text-file after u-boot is up. I am looking for some kind of compile
> time support.

The command 'setenv' means 'set the value of an environment variable'.
Your script can be an environment variable as long as you excape it
properly.  Typing 'saveenv' afterwards will save this to wherever you
store your environment variables (either in separate flash sectors, the
U-boot sector or EEPROM).  It will then be available persistently.  You
can of course hard-code default environment variables.  Look through the
code - you'll see lots of examples.

regards,
Ben