[U-Boot-Users] Multiple flash Support

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Aug 24 11:40:57 CEST 2006

In message <000e01c6c752$e8502510$654765d5 at atmel.com> you wrote:

> Maybe this is too late,
> but it may make sense to add an 8 kB serial EEPROM to a board
> (which is probably a development board anyway)
> and store the environment in this chip.

No! Please DON'T do this.

I recommend against using EEPROM (at least on I2C) for any  important
data.  See  doc/I2C_Edge_Conditions  for  just  one problem which can
cause data loss on such devices. Don't  say  this  is  a  theoretical
issue. I know of systems that suffered from this.

Also, EEPROM is slow to read, and  adds  for  LONG  and  random  boot
delays.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"This isn't brain surgery; it's just television."   - David Letterman