[U-Boot-Users] Status of the AVR32 u-boot patches

Haavard Skinnemoen hskinnemoen at atmel.com
Fri Aug 25 15:09:47 CEST 2006

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 12:42:46 +0200
"Ulf Samuelsson" <ulf at atmel.com> wrote:

> > Hi Wolfgang,
> >
> > I just noticed Ulf claiming that we (Atmel Norway) have submitted
> > patches for AVR32 support. That is not correct as far as I know, and
> > I'm the one sitting on the patches. So you can probably stop
> > looking ;)
> >
> No, I have been told by someone else in Norway it happend, and this
> guys was obviously misinformed I wanted to check if it was true
> (Notice the "is this correct" question).

Ok, I guess someone must have misunderstood something.

> I have put the AT91 memory drivers
> * at45.c->at45dbxxx.c

Hmmm...what's wrong with drivers/dataflash.c?

Note that I haven't tried the dataflash driver myself, as the STK1000
doesn't have a dataflash chip.

> * flash.c->at49bvxxx.c

Ideally, that should be supported by drivers/cfi_flash.c. But I didn't
have much success with it either, and I noticed that several boards use
their own flash driver.

> * nand.c

Ok, maybe we'll get one of those in the future.

> and the dm9161a.c

Hmmm...looks like a pretty basic MII-compatible PHY to me. Maybe it's
time to introduce a generic MII framework into u-boot?

There are probably other drivers that can be consolidated as well. The
mmc, hsdramc, hsmc and pio drivers come to mind.

> but since Wolfgang does not like
> the idea of distributing things, I'm in between chairs at the moment.
> I can send you the source files and then you can include them in your
> patch. I guess it does not hurt having source available before use.

Yeah, I'd like to have a look at those drivers. I won't include them in
any other patches though, as I think drivers should be posted as
separate patches.

> You may want to update the files, because today they configure based
> on different AT91 chips. Maybe a CONFIGURE_ATMEL ??

Ok, we'll have to think of something. I'll have a look and see if we
can abstract the configuration options somehow.

> Probably, it is a good idea to put most of the Atmel Rousset
> peripheral drivers in an "board/atmel/common" directory as well.

I thought drivers were supposed to go in the "drivers" subdirectory? ;)

Haavard