[U-Boot-Users] bootm problem

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Aug 28 10:59:31 CEST 2006

In message <20060828040030.2784.qmail at web7905.mail.in.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> my cpu --------arm926ejs
> my board------scp  (Its my baord)
>
> u-boot working on my board.

What you don't mention, and what is essential here, is that you are
trying to boot an XIP kernel. This is not standard, and little
documentation for this exists (feel free to improve this).

> all commands mostly working except bootm

I disagree. bootm seems to be working fine. It's the Linux kernel
which isn't running ;-)

> Now I used bootm command see below
>
> USCP# bootm 0x8000
> hanging at Starting kernel ..               why I dont know pls help me
>
> but it bootm commands works at 00007fc0 address but not working at 0x8000
> pls help me

Start thinking. What's the difference between 0x8000 and 0x7fc0?

Right - 64 bytes, exactly the size of the U-Boot header. With a  load
address  of 0x8000 your image will start at 0x8040 and does not work,
and with a load address of 0x7FC0 your image will start at 0x8000 and
does work.

Questions:

* Which start address was your image linked for?
* What is the entry point address?

If your answer to both questions is 0x8000, then what makes you think
it could work it could work if you load itto a different address and
jump right into the U-Boot header instead of the entry point?

What I don't understand: You have already found the solution to  your
problem  (loading  the image to the correct address) - so why are you
posting this message at all???

> --0-804650972-1156737629=:98272

Don't post HTML here!

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Quote from the Boss... "I didn't say it was your fault.  I said I was
going to blame it on you."