[U-Boot-Users] What is flush_cache() supposed to do?

Haavard Skinnemoen hskinnemoen at atmel.com
Tue Aug 29 17:26:12 CEST 2006

Hi all,

When doing some cleanups to the AVR32 port, I just noticed that I
haven't actually implemented flush_cache(). What is the purpose of that
function? Should it flush the icache, the dcache or both?

Things seem to work fine as it is, even though the AT32AP7000 has
a write-back cache which is enabled all the time in u-boot. Also, it
seems to be called mostly from commands that load things into memory,
but not all (ext2load does not seem to call it, for example.)

I do however flush the caches before transferring control to the Linux
kernel. Maybe that's what saves me?

Haavard