[U-Boot-Users] builtin OF tree dtb gone

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Sat Dec 16 16:45:39 CET 2006

On 12/16/06, Joakim Tjernlund <joakim.tjernlund at transmode.se> wrote:
> While trying out the latest u-boot from my board I noticed that
> support for using a prebuilt OF tree compiled int u-boot is gone.
> The oftree_dtb symbol is gone and I can't find a replacement.
>
> Why was it removed and is there a replacement?
>
> If there isn't a replacement I request that
> one is added.

It's been replaced with support in the bootm command for passing the .dtb

New boot sequence:
1) load kernel into memory (or flash)
2) load initrd into memory (optional)
3) load .dtb into memory (optional)
4) bootm <kenreladdr> [initrdaddr] [dtbaddr]

If a dtbaddr is provided; then the dtb is passed to the kernel.  If it
is not; then old style booting is used instead.
If you don't have an initrd, but do have a .dtb; pass '-' as the initrdarrd.

ie:

tftp 200000 uImage
tftp 400000 lite5200.dtb
bootm 200000 - 400000