[U-Boot-Users] builtin OF tree dtb gone

Dan Malek dan at embeddedalley.com
Sat Dec 16 22:27:12 CET 2006

On Dec 16, 2006, at 2:39 PM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:

> We do update u-boot in field, no mishaps yet since 2001.
> Probably due to a very controlled update procedure.

You should be playing the lottery, then :-)
How do you control a power failure (even done
by the user) between erasing and updating
the flash, as one example of bad things that
can happen during this process?

> I don't get you point w.r.t subject at hand, do you or don't you
> support a OF tree compiled into u-boot?

I don't like the OF for embedded products at all,
but there is no stopping that train.  Done properly,
it should be as Pantelis said.... once as part of
the u-boot board port.  Of course, when we started
discussing this and provided the first implementation,
its purpose was to pass some environment information
already part of u-boot in a more general way to the
kernel.  It has since turned into a completely
different monster.

	-- Dan