[U-Boot-Users] fsload questions

Charles Krinke ckrinke at istor.com
Fri Dec 22 01:59:20 CET 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: wd at denx.de [mailto:wd at denx.de]
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2006 4:40 PM
To: Charles Krinke
Cc: u-boot-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [U-Boot-Users] fsload questions

In message
<A590D28B5042C041BCC880094CB6172E33DF48 at mail1irv.inside.istor.com> you
wrote:

> We are using the MTD code in the released u-boot-1.1.6 tarball and it
> does compile cleanly and runs ls, fsinfo and fsload, albeit there is a
> two minute delay whenever it runs.

Which MTD code are you using in your Linux kernel and for the tools
you use to format the file system?

How long does mounting the file system take under Linux?

> I am very puzzled why you are avoiding loading a Linux kernel image
from
> a JFFS2 file system. Is there some set of problems that are not
obvious

Because it's one of the slowest ways to boot a system.

> that need to be addressed, or some incompatibility between U-Boot and
> the MTD flash logic in Linux?

No, it's just inherently slow.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Where people stand is not as important as which way they face.
        - Terry Pratchett & Stephen Briggs, _The Discworld Companion_

Dear Wolfgang:

We are using Linux-2.6.17.11 with the MTD support provided in the
released kernel from kernel.org with no modifications. Is this
potentially a part of the problem?

I am somewhat puzzled by the fact that the Linux kernel writes files
from the top towards the bottom and U-Boot tries to read files from the
bottom towards the top. Is this potentially the reason for U-Boot's
slowness in reading a NAND/JFFS2 file system?

Charles