[U-Boot-Users] PPC8xx chip select configuration at startup

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Fri Feb 17 22:14:28 CET 2006

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <43F6091D.7040901 at paulidav.org> you wrote:

[snip]

>>> The desired location for FLASH memory will be at 0x0400_0000. This is
>>> the address space to which I link U-Boot.
>>>
>> That's OK. It will simply limit your SDRAM size to 64M.
>
> And my cause other problems as well. Don't do it. Map flash at a high
> address.

Just to be explicit: you _must_ map your flash _well_above_ 0xC000_0000
(the start of the linux kernel area) if you want to run linux.

Since _you_ control BR0 (don't listen to them hardware engineers), you
can put it anywhere you want.  0xFF00_0000 is a good spot.  0xFFF0_0000
is not as good of a spot because it limits you to 16MB of flash.  Think
big. ;-)

> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk

Best regards,