[U-Boot-Users] CFI flash – Problem with erasing boot block.

John_s (sent by Nabble.com) lists at nabble.com
Fri Jan 13 16:53:22 CET 2006

Hi All,

I am developing a CFI based flash driver.  I can query the device and get all sector/block information.  I am having problems erasing sectors 1, 2, 3 and 4 (bottom 64-KB), please the flash geometry below.  The problem is that when I attempt to erase sectors 1, 2, 3, OR  4 I end up erasing sectors 1-4 .  Not sure why this is happening.

I am able to erase the remaining sectors, sectors 5 through 19 individually without problems.

Here is flash’s geometry.  I would appreciate your expert opinion as how to avoid this or even as it why it is happening.  Thanks in advance.

Device: ST’s M29w800DB, Bottom boot block.

Sector 1 	0x00000 – 0x01fff
Sector 2 	0x02000 – 0x02fff
Sector 3	0x03000 – 0x03fff
Sector 4	0x04000 – 0x07fff -> First 64Kb boundary.
Sector 5 	0x08000 – 0x07fff -> All remaining sectors are 64 -Kb bulk sectors.
Sector 19	0x78000 – 0x7ffff

- John