[U-Boot-Users] Re: ENV_IS_EMBEDDED functionality

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jan 13 21:47:48 CET 2006

In message <43C7FF53.7020809 at comcast.net> you wrote:

>         I have a question regarding the functionality provided by
> ENV_IS_EMBEDDED. Currently, this value is computed only for the case
> CFG_ENV_IS_IN_FLASH defined in environment.h, and is based on the flash

Yes, because it can only be located in the middle of the U-Boot image
in flash if the environment is stored itself in flash  -  you  cannot
have this if the environment is, for example, sotred in a EEPROM.

> addresses of the environment being defined as inside the executing
> addresses of u-boot. This seems to be designed for the case where u-boot
> is executed out of flash and not copied into ram for execution. There is

Wrong. This has nothing to do with execution, just with storage.

> an old configuration variable, CFG_ENV_IS_EMBEDDED, that appears to be
> non-functional and deprecated. I am working with u-boot for the Analog
> Devices Blackfin chip, which has not yet been submitted to mainstream

I think I remember to have seen patches here on the list - search the
archives, please.

> (AFAIK). The code directly defines ENV_IS_EMBEDDED to force that
> functionality even though it is copied to ram for execution (and thereby

This has nothing to do with execution.

>         My question is: What is your opinion of this approach? It seems

You misunderstand the function.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Unix is simple, but it takes a genius to understand the simplicity."
					             - Dennis Ritchie