[U-Boot-Users] SPI support in U-boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jan 23 11:44:29 CET 2006

In message <43D44482.7030300 at paulidav.org> you wrote:

> It looks like the basic SPI I/O function, spi_xfer() has two different
> prototypes in U-boot.

This is what happens when two groups of people solve the same problem
independently.

> On the other hand, the code for the "eeprom" command, which is another
> way to access an SPI EEPROM uses functions spi_read() and spi_write,
> which are implemented only in cpu/mpc{8xx, 8260, 5xxx}/spi.c. However,
> these functions are very basic. Fore example they do not allow you to
> control SPI chip select.

That's because they just deal  with  that:  accessing  a  SPI  EEPROM
device.

> Can someone tell me what is going on. Is it that MPC drivers became
> outdated and should be modified? How do other people use them then? Or I
> am simply missing something?

They are not "outdated". It's just  a  different  (and  incompatible)
implementation.  If you can come up with a patch tp cleanup please do
so.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"When the only  tool  you  have  is  a  hammer,  you  tend  to  treat
everything as if it were a nail."                    - Abraham Maslow