[U-Boot-Users] [Patch 5/5] Add DataFlash support for AT91SAM9261EK board

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jan 24 18:39:48 CET 2006

In message <KAEELLICOFHDAEPIACDEAEPJCFAA.nicolas.lacressonniere at rfo.atmel.com> you wrote:

> DataFlash patch (5/5) adds DataFlash support for ATMEL AT91SAM9261EK board.
>
> It also adds the following dataflash commands (in cmd_dataflash.c):
> U_BOOT_CMD(
> 	dflc,	5,	1,	do_dataflash_command,
> 	"dflc         - DATAFLASH utility command\n",
> 	"dflc init    - Init connected dataflash cards\n"
> 	"dflc info    - scan for connected dataflash devices\n"
> 	"dflc protect - protect or unprotect sectors\n"
> );

I reject this patch. Dataflash support is supposed to be  transparent
to  the  user. IT should be supported by the existing flash commands.
Please change the code to use the existing "protect" command like  it
was done before for dataflash, too.

Also, I don't  see  any  need  for  a  "dflc  init"  command  -  such
initialization  should be done when needed and without needing manual
user interaction. And "dflc info" is  supposed  to  be  par  tof  the
"flinfo" output on your hardware.

> CHANGELOG
> Patch by Nicolas Lacressonniere 24 January 2006
> * Add DataFlash support for ATMEL AT91SAM9261EK board (arm926ejs)
> * Add DataFlash utility commands
> * Add addr2ram verification in do_mem_cp function.

I also reject the patch because I think that such "verification" is a
bad thing.

"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things,  because
that would also stop you from doing clever things."       - Doug Gwyn

Your "verification" prevents a lot of "clever things",  like  copying
data to a framebuffer or some dual ported RAM or on-chip memory or...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Always leave room to add an explanation if it doesn't work out.