[U-Boot-Users] lowlevel init and reboot issue SOLVED

Roman Kolesnikov romank at randrlabs.com
Sun Jul 9 20:30:26 CEST 2006

Hello I have solved my problem, and I am passing some experience to the
group.

I have had trouble resetting the system through the Watchdog timer. My
system was at91rm9200EK type board. The problem was caused by linux
leaving the flash memory in an "unknown" and not ready state. Once the
watchdog reset would occur, the system would not recover and hang.
Because my parallel flash chip was different from the DK board flash
chip, linux MTD support would cause the flash to go and not quit some
operation. Also DK boards came with an outside reset pin, and the EK
boards come with an outside pushbutton reset; watchdog would not be able
to reset all the hardware on the ek board, it would only reset the
processor (I think).

My solution was to disable the MTD Flash driver. Since I did not use the
parallel flash from Linux, it was ok for me to do so. I have not made a
new flash driver for linux. This change solved the problem.

Flash that DK and EK boards use are mature and will likely be replaced
by new product. I noticed that newer Atmel flash comes with two to three
cycle commands, instead of upto 5 cycle commands. We used newer flash,
and that is why the Linux MTD support was working improperly.

Thanks for looking,
Roman