[U-Boot-Users] skipping bad blocks when erasing nand

Joachim Jaeger maillist at fsforth.de
Fri Jul 14 09:10:37 CEST 2006

Hi,

Dave Hylands wrote:
> Hard-drives have bad blocks, but you don't see them being reported
> when you format.
>
> Somebody who knows that NAND chips have bad blocks as a normal course
> of events won't be suprised to see them. People (i.e. end users - not
> the programmers) who are unaware that NAND chips can have bad blocks
> will be suprised, so the whole thing about bad blocks being normal now
> has to be documented.
>
> I think that if a block is marked as bad, then doing an erase should
> just ignore blocks that already marked bad. However, if a block goes
> bad as a result of the formatting, then that's worth reporting
> (although, this is also a fact of life).

I also think the patch from David is OK, because the bad blocks are not
skipped, which would be fatal crossing partition boundaries, but just
ignored.
I think even reporting about these ignored blocks isn't necessary.
Instead it would be much more interesting to know about the really bad
block free space.

> I think having a command to list the bad blocks would be useful.

This already exists (nand bad)

Regards
Joachim

--