[U-Boot-Users] skipping bad blocks when erasing nand

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jul 14 10:28:57 CEST 2006

Hello Stefan,

in message <200607140914.07427.sr at denx.de> you wrote:

> I am "voting" for David's implementation, since bad blocks are "normal" on
> NAND chips. And if I remember correctly, the "old" U-Boot NAND driver also
> just skipped the bad block upon erasing without reproting them.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. This code is not coming out of  thin  air.
It is a more or less vrbatim copy of the corresponding Linux MTD NAND
code, see "drivers/mtd/nand/nand_base.c" in your Linux kernel tree.

In U-Boot, we have the additional #define NAND_ALLOW_ERASE_ALL  which
can be enabled if you don't like this behaviour.

If you believe that the U-Boot behavious is wrong, then the Linux MTD
driver would be wrong, too. In this case discussion  should  continue
on the MTD mailing list.

As long as I don't see any changes to the current MTD Linux code  you
will  need  really good arguments to talk me into changing the U-Boot
code.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will
find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it  on
the computer.