[U-Boot-Users] [patch] Added support for Embedded planetep85xxm board

Jeff Mann MannJ at embeddedplanet.com
Mon Jul 17 16:11:40 CEST 2006

>Also, the patch set is sent as folders/files patches format.Seems not
conform to the rule of README.
>Glad to see EP's contribution. This will make EP boards more acceptable
to customers.
>Thanks,
>Sam

could someone please explain the patch format, because the README
states:

-----QUOTE FROM README----
If you have modified U-Boot sources (for instance added a new	board
or  support  for  new  devices,	 a new CPU, etc.) you are expected to
provide feedback to the other developers. The feedback normally takes
the form of a "patch", i. e. a context diff against a certain (latest
official or latest in CVS) version of U-Boot sources.

But before you submit such a patch, please verify that	your  modifi-
cation	did not break existing code. At least make sure that *ALL* of
the supported boards compile WITHOUT ANY compiler warnings. To do so,
just run the "MAKEALL" script....
See also "U-Boot Porting Guide" below.....
U-Boot Porting Guide:
[c style code joke]
[style standards]
Submitting Patches:....
* The patch itself. If you are accessing the CVS repository use "cvs
  update; cvs diff -puRN"; else, use "diff -purN OLD NEW". If your
  version of diff does not support these options, then get the latest
  version of GNU diff.

  The current directory when running this command shall be the top
  level directory of the U-Boot source tree, or it's parent directory
  (i. e. please make sure that your patch includes sufficient
  directory information for the affected files).
------END QUOTE-----

This is how I interpreted  "please make sure that your patch includes
sufficient
  directory information for the affected files."

If that is incorrect, please correct me with more detailed instructions.
I am reatltivly new to u-boot, so with helpful feedback I will be able
to provide valuable contributions.

Thanks,
JM