[U-Boot-Users] Linux kernel hang (infinite loop)

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Tue Jul 18 08:27:51 CEST 2006

Hello,

On Tuesday 18 July 2006 01:52, Madhu Saravana Sibi Govindan wrote:
> I'm using U-boot to bring up a custom 440gp-based board. We are able
> to transfer the kernel image (uImage) to the target board's memory and
> jump to it. But, the kernel seems to hang after that.

Did you try looking at the logbuffer:

http://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/LinuxPostMortemAnalysis

> We have verified that the board info struct and the clock frequencies
> are ok. We also have a BDI2000 hardware debugger with us, but we are
> unable to set any breakpoints using this (both using telnet or using
> gdb). However, I can use the telnet interface and single-step the
> 440gp after it seems to hang. I found that 440gp is infinitely looping
> through the "DataTLBError" routine.

I assume that you have a linux port for your "custom" board and are *not*
using the linux kernel image for some other 440 board, right?

> It is unclear to me what might have caused this in the first place.
> Has anyone seen this behaviour before?
>
> We are currently working on getting breakpoints to work using the BDI2000.

What is BREAKMODE set to in your BDI2000 config file? Try using "HARD".

Best regards,
Stefan