[U-Boot-Users] helloworld app from flash?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jul 18 11:49:10 CEST 2006

In message <8bf247760607180211r7f92f1cbs58dd865100ab939e at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

>    im trying to run the helloworld application

And you did read the manual, right?

>    1st Option: download the hello_world.bin to some location on RAM
> and execute it
>
>             OMAP5912OSK: tftpboot 0x10000000 hello_world.bin
>             OMAP5912OSK: go 0x10000004
>
>          This works fine. no problem

No, this doesn't work, at least not  in  the  default  configuration,
because '0x10000000" is not the correct link / download adress.

>   2nd Option: I want to burn the hello_world.bin into flash. During
> startup i want u-boot to launch it after booting - just like the way
> it boots the kernel.
>
>     It does not work for me, this is what i did.
>    $ ../tools/mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C gzip -a 0x10000000
> -e 0x10000004 -n 'Hello Image' -d hello_world.bin.gz hello.img

"-T kernel" says you that you are building a Linux kernel image.  You
are  lying  to  U-Boot  - what you give it is not a Linux kernel, but
somethign else. U-Boot does not like liars, so it refuses to work for
you.

>   Am i missing something?.

Yes, an understandign of image types.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
It would be illogical to assume that all conditions remain stable
	-- Spock, "The Enterprise" Incident", stardate 5027.3