[U-Boot-Users] uboot script parameters.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jul 20 02:00:40 CEST 2006

In message <FAB00A8DC59FAB42B13C2B3B0F6877010EFD3201 at ehost011-3.exch011.intermedia.net> you wrote:
> Thanks a lot for answers and sorry for my HTMLness - I'll use Plain Text
> from now.

OK. So while we are at it: will you please also stop  to  top/post  /
full  quote?  Please  read the netiquette (ideally *before* posting).
See for example http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

> I understand that my getkernel is environment variable, but this is the
> only way to create proprietary script for u-boot, right?

Please, what exactly do you mean by "proprietary" here? I  guess  you
want to express something different...

And  no,  environment  variables  are  one  thing,  and  scripts  are
something  different.  Think  of  a  shell  script  - it is something
different to a shell variable, even though a shell variable  (like  a
U-Boot  environment  variable)  can be used to store commands or even
command sequences.

In  U-Boot,  a  script  is  an  image  of  type  "script"  (surprise,
surprise!) which gets executed using the "autoscr" command.

And if you had read the manual, or just searched it for "script", you
wouldn't have wasted our time.

> Also if I'll add parameters' support, does it make sense for u-boot
> community?

Yes, this would be a very useful  extension,  as  it  would  probably
include  a  number  or  other  useful things as well. But I guess you
probably underestimate the required effort.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
CAUTION:  The Mass of This Product Contains the Energy Equivalent  of
85 Million Tons of TNT per Net Ounce of Weight.