[U-Boot-Users] Turning on instruction address translation on an 8349 causes processor reset

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Thu Jul 27 00:04:00 CEST 2006

Liu Dave-r63238 wrote:

> The MPC8349EMDS code in wolfgang's git is working well now. No hang.
> Please check your code carefully.

I've tried and I can't figure out what's wrong.  Right now, I have this code in mpc83xx/start.S:

	/* For some reason, address translation does not work on the 8349E-mITX */
#ifndef CONFIG_MPC8349ITX
	/* enable address translation */
	bl	enable_addr_trans
	sync
#endif

Everything else works fine (I'll be providing a patch for the 8349E-mITX in a week or so).  But if I turn on either address translation (instruction or data, it doesn't matter), then the system crashes.

enable_addr_trans:
	/* enable address translation */
	mfmsr	r5
	ori	r5, r5, (MSR_IR | MSR_DR)
	mtmsr	r5
	isync
	blr

The crash occurs right after the 'mtmsr' instruction.

The only thing I can think of is that I'm using the wrong values for CFG_IBATxx, but I have no idea what they should be.  I copied them from MPC8349EMDS.h.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale