[U-Boot-Users] Register definition for MPC5200 WakeUp GPIO Data Input

Edward Jubenville edjubenville at adelphia.net
Fri Jul 28 22:17:45 CEST 2006

For the MPC5200 processor, the include/mpc5xxxx.h file doesn't have an
offset defined for the Wakeup GPIB Data Input Value register.  It has only
the output value register:
   #define MPC5XXX_WU_GPIO_DATA    (MPC5XXX_WU_GPIO + 0x000c)

It seems like it should have been more accurately named with a direction
suffix like this:
   #define MPC5XXX_WU_GPIO_DATA_O    (MPC5XXX_WU_GPIO + 0x000c)
   #define MPC5XXX_WU_GPIO_DATA_I    (MPC5XXX_WU_GPIO + 0x0020)
consistent with how the input/output registers for simple GPIO were named.

Renaming MPC5XXX_WU_GPIO_DATA to MPC5XXX_WU_GPIO_DATA_O would affect many
existing MPC5200-based boards.

Would the preferred approach be for me to submit a patch that adds
MPC5XXX_WU_GPIO_DATA_O and MPC5XXX_WU_GPIO_DATA_I constants, and add a
"deprecated" comment to MPC5XXX_WU_GPIO_DATA?

Would it be better to rename MPC5XXX_WU_GPIO_DATA to MPC5XXX_WU_GPIO_DATA_O,
and modify the code for the referencing boards?

If neither, what would be the preferred approach?

(Sorry, for these questions about philosophy... I've never submitted patches
before).

Thanks,

Ed Jubenville