[U-Boot-Users] Howto reserve the first 64kB sector in the boot flash

Niklaus Giger niklaus.giger at member.fsf.org
Sat Jul 29 14:28:05 CEST 2006

Hi

I successfully adapted the Git-Version of U-Boot to our PPC405 board using the
jse-board as an example.

Now my Linux kernel and our legacy vxWorks start up.

We use  a 512kB 8-bit Boot-Flash 28F640 starting at 0xfff80000.

I had however reserved the first 64 kB of it for the vxWorks bootparameters,
and evidently the U-boot version string is not a valid vxWorks boot
parameter.

I tried to change CFG_FLASH_BASE from 0xFFF80000 to 0xFFFC0000 as the U-board
code uses less than 3*64 kB.
Then U-Boot starts up and after emitting "New Stack Pointer is: 01fa0b38"
nothing happens.

The same behaviour results when I leave CFG_FLASH_BASE  at 0xFFF80000  and set
CFG_MONITOR_BASE	CFG_FLASH_BASE + 0x10000.

Any hints how to reserve 64KB at 0xFFF80000 would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

--
Niklaus Giger