[U-Boot-Users] AT91 u-boot lowlevel init Dataflash

Peter Menzebach pm at mw-itcon.de
Tue Jun 6 12:02:06 CEST 2006

Marco Cavallini wrote:

> BTW I wonder if could be useful (and appreciated) if I should merge
> RomBoot settings into u-boot allowing u-boot to be the one and only
> loader for Dataflash too.
>
> Ciao
Hi,
this is *not* possible, if you want to use only dataflash. *No* code can
be executed directly out of the dataflash, since the access is serial
and therefore it is not directly adressable by the CPU.

So the boot sequence (slightly simplified) is as follows:

- The internal boot code in ROM within the CPU copies up to 12K of code
from dataflash to internal SRAM (this is romboot) and starts it.
- romboot initializes CPU frequencies and sets up SDRAM (normally the
CPU runs after this at 180 MHZ on the DK board, unless you got a buggy
version of precompiled romboot.
- romboot now copies u-boot to SDRAM and starts it.

It use the romboot version from teest.com, which Andreas mentioned and
this sequence works fine with the recent u-boot releases.

You will find more information about this in various documents related
to the processor and the dk board on the atmel home page..

Best regards
Peter

--
Peter Menzebach