[U-Boot-Users] Which configuration?

Norman Urs Baier spiessli at gmx.net
Tue Jun 6 22:51:29 CEST 2006

Am Mittwoch, 31. Mai 2006 22:11 schrieb Tolunay Orkun:
> Since U-Boot license is GPL, they are required to deliver the source
> code free of charge upon request (except a reasonable amount for
> preparation of media and shipping).

In the meantime I have sent 2 e-mails. They have reacted on the 2nd and
promised to give me the source. I am curious on what I will get...

> While not disputing your right to update, what is your incentive to
> update U-Boot code since it is unlikely to add any new features that you
> might need in your Jukebox? If it is working fine, there is no real good
> reason, I would recommend not to update boot loader.

I always need to have the latest version installed, don't you? ;-)
As I have written in another mail in the same thread, there is a Hardware lock
in the "original" U-Boot, probably with a similar philosophy behind like the
image lock Rohit Sharma proposed these days on this list and I don't see why
my jukebox should only work with a TravelStar 80GB hard disk and not with any
other HD, especially my newly bought 160GB...
I am sure I will find the explanation right beside the "if" being responsible
for the lock. Good software writers always explain with comments what they
are doing!

Norman