[U-Boot-Users] PPC405EP ethernet problems

Stalder, Reto reto.stalder at schmid-telecom.ch
Fri Jun 16 15:47:08 CEST 2006

Hi

I'm having problems setting up the ethernet on a custom board with an
AMCC PPC405EP. Whenever I run a command which uses the ethernet, I get a
similar behaviour: First U-Boot displays 66 times the following message:

   miiphy_register: non unique device name 'ppc_4xx_eth0'
   ENET Speed is 100 Mbps - FULL duplex connection

Then it starts printing the following in an endless loop:

   ppc_4xx_eth_initialize: Cannot allocate private hw data for
eth_device 0

The ethernet part in the configuration file reads as follows:

   #define CONFIG_MII                                 // Enable MII PHY
management
   #define CONFIG_PHY_ADDR     0x0C                   // Front eth phy
(addr via pin strapping)
   #define CONFIG_IPADDR       192.168.248.103        // Default IP
address (test only)
   #define CONFIG_SERVERIP     192.168.248.111        // tftpboot from
stein
   #define CONFIG_ETHADDR      00:40:63:DC:B6:93      // MAC address

Has anyone an idea where the error could lie? Could anybody give me a
hint, where to continue debugging?

Thank you very much in advance,
Reto Stalder