[U-Boot-Users] Dynamic location of the environment sector

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jun 21 16:11:41 CEST 2006

In message <20060621104820.GA23461 at inaccessnetworks.com> you wrote:

> Indeed it does not. The problem however, just for the record is code
> like the following segment:
>
> # if (CFG_ENV_ADDR >= CFG_MONITOR_BASE) && \
>      (CFG_ENV_ADDR+CFG_ENV_SIZE) <= (CFG_MONITOR_BASE + CFG_MONITOR_LEN)
> #  define ENV_IS_EMBEDDED       1
> # endif

This is not a real problem, me thinks.

> The preprocessor cannot obviously perform checks and do arithmetic with
> C variables and constructs:
>
> include/environment.h:64:20: token "[" is not validin preprocessor expressions

Well, don't use '[' in your definitions, then :-)

> This is the solution I will follow, although I was trying to avoid it.
> The second block, right after the u-boot will hold the environment. I
> have an issue though with the environment sector size. I have three
> configurations, two of which have a sector size 0x40000 and one has
> 0x20000. The problem I mentioned above with the static declarations
> appears here. If I declare the env size to be the smaller sector, An
> error occurs during the environment saving : "flash sector size is not
> equal to the environment size" or something like that.

So don'ty do it, then. Make the size 0x40000.

> Another note not related to the ones above. A couple of days ago I sent
> some patches for the arm architecture, but I did not received any
> replies. Have you seen them (it was on the 6th of June)?

Did you see them on the list? If so, OK.
What sort of replies did you expect anyway?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
That's the thing about people who think  they  hate  computers.  What
they really hate is lousy programmers.
- Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle in "Oath of Fealty"