[U-Boot-Users] u-boot hangs in ./cpu/mpc8xx/cpu_init.c when changing br0

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jun 23 01:05:20 CEST 2006

In message <1628E43D99629C46988BE46087A3FBB95C59D2 at ep-01.EmbeddedPlanet.local> you wrote:
> SOLUTION (or at least an explanation, and it has nothing to do with the
> longish comment in this source file)

Oh yes, it has.

> Form the MPC866 data sheet:
> "When the MPC866 internal core begins accessing memory at system reset,
> CS0 is asserted for every address, unless an internal register is
> accessed...CS0 operates this way until the first write to OR0 and it can
> be used as any other chip-select register once the preferred address
> range is loaded into BR0."

Standard MPC8xx init sequence, that is.

> All of this is already loaded by the BDI debugger, so that is what is

Argh. Why are you doing this? I've been preaching for ages that  your
BDI  config  file  should  be  basicly  EMPTY, i. e. just contain the
unavoidable stuff like disabling the watchdog. But it MUST NOT  touch
the  memory  controller.  U-Boot  expects  a  VIRGIN CPU frosh out of
reset.

If you mess with it you get what you deserve.

> Proposed solution:
> Before clearing BR0, include the following:

Wrong. Solution is: DON'T MESS THE CPU STATE before  passing  control
to U-Boot.

> The next e-mail will be a patch

It will be rejected.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"The greatest warriors are the ones who fight for peace."
- Holly Near