[U-Boot-Users] Question about the setenv command

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jun 26 23:06:05 CEST 2006

In message <c32efac40606260718j62690271i48ae8001021232a4 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> It starts out using the official 1.1.4 source and adds a bunch of
> patches which appear to be specific to the gumstix hardware.

Then complain with thye guys who provided the gumstix  patches.  Also
complain  that  they  did  not  send their patches back to the U-Boot
project.

> It turns out that this does in fact work as before using simple variables.

I'm afraid I can't help you as  I  have  no  idea  what  the  patches
changed.  The  behaviour you describe has to be called broken. PLease
call gumstix support...

> doesn't work when bootcmd is set to this (all on one line):
>
> setenv bootcmd "icache on;setenv stderr nulldev; setenv stdout
> nulldev; if mmcinit && fatload mmc 0 a2000000 gumstix-factory.script;
> then setenv stdout serial; setenv stderr serial; echo Found
> gumstix-factory script...; autoscr; else setenv stdout serial;setenv
> stderr serial;fsload && bootm; fi"

They must have  tweaked  a  couple  of  parameters,  because  in  the
standard  configuration  (CFG_CBSIZE set to 256) you wouldn't even be
able to enter such a line. So who knows what else they  changed  (and
broke).

Do you happen to know if the gumstix patches are somewhere  available
for download? URL?

I recommend to re-write this in any case, for example into  something
like this:

=> setenv script_test 'mmcinit && fatload mmc 0 a2000000 gumstix-factory.script'
=> setenv script_exec 'setenv stdout serial;setenv stderr serial;echo Found gumstix-factory script...;autoscr'
=> setenv script_none 'setenv stdout serial;setenv stderr serial;fsload && bootm'
=> setenv bootcmd 'if run script_test;then run script_exec;else run script_none'

...or so.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"There is nothing new under the sun, but there are lots of old things
we don't know yet."                                  - Ambrose Bierce