[U-Boot-Users] Newbie Question on rootfs.ext2.gz.uboot

Matthias Fuchs matthias.fuchs at esd-electronics.com
Tue Jun 27 10:20:51 CEST 2006

Gary Sanders wrote:
> I have a root file system that I boot over NFS (x86 host, PPC target).
>
> How do I transform that into a root file system of the form
> rootfs.ext2.gz.uboot so I can load that into flash?
Take a look at the genext2fs tool (http://genext2fs.sourceforge.net/)
that also comes with the ELDK. It creates an ext2 filesystem image.
Then use gzip to compress and finally use mkimage (part of the ELDK as
well) to make it bootable by u-boot.

Alternatively you can do the genext2fs steps by hand (loopback mount an
image file ....), but you need to become root to do this.

I think there are some hints in the Denx'Wiki.

Matthias