[U-Boot-Users] 1.1.4 and 2.6 kernel

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jun 27 16:01:37 CEST 2006

In message <2DE80618CB7CD311A08A00105A40E9D1061FEF76 at mail.dasistemi.it> you wrote:
> If I'm not wrong, the 2.4 MTD driver and the 2.6 MTD driver is slightly
> different.

There are pretty bif differences between the MTD  versions  actually,
but not on this level.

> In fact in 2.4 you have /dev/mtd0 and /dev/mtdblock0 representing the whole
> flash.

No, this is wrong. For example:

	bash-2.05b# cat /proc/version
	Linux version 2.4.25 (wd at pollux) (gcc version 3.3.3 (DENX ELDK 3.1.1 3.3.3-9)) #1 Sat Jun 11 18:48:30 MEST 2005
	bash-2.05b# cat /proc/mtd
	dev:    size   erasesize  name
	mtd0: 00060000 00020000 "u-boot"
	mtd1: 00020000 00020000 "env1"
	mtd2: 00020000 00020000 "env2"
	mtd3: 00100000 00020000 "kernel1"
	mtd4: 00100000 00020000 "kernel2"
	mtd5: 01d60000 00020000 "user"

> In 2.6 /dev/mtd0 and /dev/mtdblock0 represent the first partition.

AFAIR this has always been the case; of course  the  first  partition
can  be  configured  such as to cover the whole device, but that is a
completely different story.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"He was so narrow minded he could see through  a  keyhole  with  both
eyes ..."