[U-Boot-Users] network boot of linux

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jun 29 00:08:28 CEST 2006

In message <6.1.1.1.2.20060628141621.01df50f0 at mail.jpl.nasa.gov> you wrote:
> I'm trying to do a network boot from uboot of linux, where the boot image
> is on machines that are nfs mounted. I'm looking for the documentation for
> the definitions of the environment variables required to perform this task.

The environment variables  used  by  U-Boot  are  documented  in  the
manual. Please RTFM.

> For now, I've got the following definitions, which are close but are not
> quite there:
> ethaddr=00:C0:E5:10:00:71
> dnsip=137.78.160.9

Not used anywhere.

> netmask=255.255.255.0
> dnsip2=137.78.160.19

Not used anywhere.

> ipaddr=137.78.79.142
> gatewayip=137.78.79.1
> hostname=ophir
> serverip=137.78.79.133
> bootfile=/afs/jpl/group/claraty/tools/linux/2.4.18/pImage-NEW

Not used anywhere.

All you really need  is  ethaddr,  ipaddr,  serverip  and  eventually
netmask  and  gatewayip  (not  needed  when the server is in the same
subnet as the target).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
But the only way of discovering the limits  of  the  possible  is  to
venture a little way past them into the impossible.
                         - _Profiles of the Future_ (1962; rev. 1973)
                  ``Hazards of Prophecy: The Failure of Imagination''