[U-Boot-Users] Tricky advice needed: copy value of an environment variable into ram

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Mar 17 11:12:48 CET 2006

In message <441A6AA5.6000308 at esd-electronics.com> you wrote:

> I need an idea on how to copy the value of an environment variable into RAM.

All environment ariables are already stored in  RAM  when  U-Boot  is
running.

> Let's say serial#=ABC1234, then I want to get ABC1234 into RAM at
> address 0x100000. Is this possible with some tricky u-boot commands?

Ah! you mean, you want to have the copy on a specific address :-)

I'm afraid there is no way to do this. We don;t have  a  comand  that
takes  a  strin  on input and stores it to a specific address, and we
don't have enough of shell tools to split and convert to hex either.

You probaly will have  to  to  implement  the  "mw.s"  (memory  write
string) command...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
No one may kill a man.  Not for any purpose.  It cannot be condoned.
	-- Kirk, "Spock's Brain", stardate 5431.6