[U-Boot-Users] cfi_flash init got real slow

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Mar 19 23:05:40 CET 2006

In message <441DC9C7.5070301 at t-online.de> you wrote:

> This is not acceptable.
>
> It is also not acceptable to disable flash protection.

This has been discussed before. Please see the archives.

> The problem is the code, that "invents" this "auto" flash unprotection
> in the flash_init routine. Please consider, that there are systems out
> with the env in eeprom, and, by the way, reading the "unlock" variable

It is your own problem if you store important data  like  the  U-Boot
environment  in  inherently unreliable memory like I2C EEPROM. I will
not discuss this here. Also, I don't see how this is related  to  the
CFI driver code.

> with the loop for each devive two times is not too good coding style.

Please feel free to submit a patch that improves the code.

> Please be carefull with changes, that have an impact to other systems.

All this has been discussed a long, long time ago. Also, if you  read
carefully,  you  wil  see that the behaviour is run-time configurable
using the "unlock" environment variable.

So what exactly are you complaining about? Maybe you can come up with
a constructive comment...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I am a computer. I am dumber than any human and smarter than any  ad-
ministrator.