[U-Boot-Users] bad CRC, using default environment

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Mar 23 15:09:37 CET 2006

In message <AD78122AD7C05B4B936EBAD7F49738C0D71D24 at square.bfh.ch> you wrote:

> I have just installed u-boot 1.1.1 on a Phoenix-SBC single board
> computer from
> Axotec. When u-boot starts up the following warning appears:
>
> *** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

This is a FAQ; please see
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/WarningBadCRCUsingDefaultEnvironment

> I can set new environment variables with "setenv". When I want to save
> the new
> variables with the command "saveenv" the following messages appears in
> the shell:
>
> Saving Environment to Flash...
> Un-Protected 1 sectors
> Erasing Flash...Erasing sector 1 ... ok.
> Erased 1 sectors
> Writing to Flash... Flash not Erased           <-- Is there something
> wrong?

Yes, there is something wrong. Your U-Boot  configuration  is  brokn;
either  the  flash  driver  failed to erase the flash, or it does not
match the sector layout of the used chips.

> When I restart the system there is still the bad CRC warning and all
> changes in the
> environment variables are lost. Has anybody an idea why I can not save
> the environment
> variables?

Because the image you installed is misconfigured and/or broken.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I wish Captain Vimes were here. He wouldn't have  known  what  to  do
either, but he's got a much better vocabulary to be baffled in.
                                 - Terry Pratchett, _Guards! Guards!_