[U-Boot-Users] How to support multiple flash sizes ?

Joao, Nuno (ext) nuno.joao-ext_nbs at siemens.com
Tue May 9 16:32:20 CEST 2006

> In message
<E7E846FF4F1FE947AABFF850350820780CC09C at PTLISI051MSX.PT001.SIEMENS.NET>
you wrote:

>> 	I've also a (MPC8541E based) system where I can have 64M or 128M
>> 	flash. I'm using CFI, and have this config:
>
> Why didn't you follow existing (working) examples in te U-Boot code?

	With the time I had available, I didn't understand how the other
	examples worked. If I remember correctly, the examples I saw
were
	not using the CFI driver, so they were not entirely applicable.
	did, however, took some info from them (thanks to you for
pointing
	them out).

>> 	This is based on u-boot 1.1.3. You will get some "unkown" banks
for

> And why do you use obsolete code for ongoing work?

	When I started, 1.1.3 was the latest version available. After
several
	changes, merges from older code, an appreciable amount of time
spent
	testing by me and other persons, it is not feasable anymore to
introduce
	a "potential instability" by upgrading to a newer version
whenever
	there's one. You know very well that you shouldn't do a big
"unecessary"
	change to software after testing. That would require at least
the same
	amount of testing already done, and I'm not given any time for
that.

>> 	the smaller flashes.
>> 	It's certainly not the best solution, but it's a solution.
>
> No, this is not a solution. It's crap. Sorry, but I  have  no  better
> word for it.

	Yes it is a solution, independently of how crappy it is. Not the
best
	one, not a good one, but one. The best given the available
resources
	(developer included!). I didn't ask for it to be included in the
u-boot
	source, I just gave it as an example. At least there is one; as
a last
	resort, Laurent *has* a solution, or something that will give
him some
	orientation or starting point.

	If you prefer, I can refrain from giving any example here if I'm
not sure
	it is a decent solution; no problem at all.

	Best Regards