[U-Boot-Users] Re: License issues with Xilinx provided files

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu May 11 00:58:18 CEST 2006

In message <4462411F.4080200 at xilinx.com> you wrote:

> >It sounds like the user would be required to maintain a locally modified
                                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >U-Boot source tree for each design.
> >
> IMHO, that's good design practice anyway. For every hardware project you
> have a number of software projects that are aligned to the hardware
> features. At any given time you want to be able to go back to that
> source tree if an issue comes up.

But why in a *locally modified* tree?  IMO  the  public  source  tree
should be used.

> IMHO, having a driver library would make things much more complicated.
> Generating the required drivers for a given hardware configuration is
> straight forward.

Is the complexity of such a driver library (which seems to be a  good
thing  to have IMHO) an inherent issue that cannot be resolved, or is
it a result of the  current  design  that,  assuming  we  had  enough
resources, could be resolved in a technically clean way?

> That's correct. You can not change the license of drivers shipping in
> EDK to GPL. However, if you let me know what drivers you need to have
> licensed under GPL I can get this done.
>
> >Are you planning to add a complete set of drivers to U-Boot?
> >
> No, drivers will be added on a "as needed" basis. But in the first place
> stuff needs to make it into the source tree that we have submitted in
> the past before we can add new things.

I'll be working on this ASAP.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
: 1.  What is the possibility of this being added in the future?
In the near future, the probability is close to zero. In the  distant
future, I'll be dead, and posterity can do whatever they like... :-)
                                                              - lwall