[U-Boot-Users] PATCH: Add command support for multiple I2C controllers

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri May 19 01:03:31 CEST 2006

In message <1147971865.16780.310.camel at saruman.qstreams.net> you wrote:

> #ifndef(CONFIG_I2C_COMMAND_TREE)
> existing U_BOOT_CMD stuff
> #else
> new I2C command tree
> #endif

No, because this will always be mutually exclusie. I thinkt hat,  for
a  transition  period  and  on  sytems  that  can  afford  the memory
footprint, both the old and the new syntac should be available at the
same time (just  like  we  still  support  the  $(variable)  and  the
${variable} formats in parallel - but $(var) will be dropped RSN).

> This macro (I forgot to assign a value, by the way) is only used in two
> commands - the probing function and the one that changes buses (it moves
> a pointer to the correct point in the list).  You'll notice that I have
> both compile time and run time checks in place that verify that the list

Yes, but this and the fact that multiple instances of the  macro  are
used means that we add more than needed to the memory footprint.

> is properly formed, and hopefully enough comments to show how to create
> the list.  I'm very open to alternative suggestions, other than 'no'.

Use arrays, please.

> I've spent a fair amount of time writing and testing code that I hope
> will benefit others.  I'm afraid if you feel a complete re-write is
> necessary, somebody else will have to do it.  On the other hand, if you

I'm sorry if my continuous rejection of your work is frustrating you.
I apologize. It  is  not  my  intention  to  make  life  harder  than
necessary  to  you.  But I think when we change this, we should do it
right.

> feel that this is at least an incremental improvement over the existing
> code, and are willing to entertain the notion of adding it to U-boot,
> I'll gladly continue.  Please advise.

I definitely see an improvement with each iteration, and  my  feeling
is  that  you  understand pretty well what I mean. I encourage you to
continue. Please go on.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Q:  Why do mountain climbers rope themselves together?
A:  To prevent the sensible ones from going home.