[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot port to a new AT91RM9200 board

Guido Classen clagix at gmail.com
Fri May 26 23:06:44 CEST 2006

Hi Stefan,

> If I understand you correctly, you would like to have an automatic update when
> a specific USB stick is connected to your board. Right? If yes, then take a
> look at the file "board/esd/common/auto_update.c". Could be helpful for you.

Thank you!

I have taken a short look at your file. The AU_SCRIPT case seems to be very
close to me intention. It seems you have additional types containing the
concrete flash images. My idea was to create a initial script file on the
USB stick containing a sequences of commands to do the necessary flash updates
like:

fatload usb 0 $(loadaddr) my_nor_image;
erase ... ...
cp.b $(loadaddr) ... $(filesize)
fatload usb 0 $(loadaddr) my_nand_image;
nand erase clean ... ...
nand write.jffs2 $(loadaddr) ... $(filesize)

By modification of a such script you can define which memory regions on the
target are actually update. It should by also possible to do other things
by suitable scritps like directly boot a Linux-Kernel from the USB-stick.
But I think it is also true for your solution.

It seems you are using compact flash, not USB, is this right? For me it is
not important to detect a special update USB flash stick using a magically
file or similar. Important is if you can do the update in field without
using an computer, terminal program and typing in commands. USB seems to be
more problematic if it is enabled on every boot as I read in the U-Boot
documentation. So I prefer to use a DIP-switch on the board to set in an
"update mode".

Regards
  Guido