[U-Boot-Users] Sector size with CFI driver?

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Wed Nov 1 18:08:38 CET 2006

Stefan Roese wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 November 2006 17:58, Timur Tabi wrote:
>> Timur Tabi wrote:
>>> +
>>> +#ifdef CONFIG_MPC8349ITX
>>> +               for (i = num_erase_regions-1; i >= 0; i--) {    /* top
>>> boot */ +#else
>>>                  for (i = 0; i < num_erase_regions; i++) {
>>> +#endif
>>> +
>> Ok, I put the above change into cfi_flash.c, and now it works!  Can someone
>> explain to me why?  Does U-Boot not normally support "top boot" flash?  If
>> so, is there a better way of doing this?
>
> Seems like your FLASH doesn't really support the CFI "Device Geometry
> Definition". Both versions (top & bottom boot block) most likely report the
> same layout.

Assuming this is true (and I will try to find out), can you recommend how you
want me to implement a fix for my board?  Should I do something like

#define CFG_CFI_DEV_GEO_BROKEN

in my board header file, and then do something like:

+#ifdef CFG_CFI_DEV_GEO_BROKEN
+               for (i = num_erase_regions-1; i >= 0; i--) {
+#else
                 for (i = 0; i < num_erase_regions; i++) {
+#endif

This is really ugly, I know, but I need help coming up with a method that you
guys will accept.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale