[U-Boot-Users] Why are some global vars part of the image, and some not?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Nov 6 21:26:11 CET 2006

In message <454F7440.5030709 at freescale.com> you wrote:

> > No, this is NOT acceptable. Don't even think of it.
>
> I don't think refusing to think about alternatives is conducive to good
> software engineering.

The concept of BSS for using uninitialized data (meaning: implicitely
initialized to zero) is as old as C and Unix, actualy even older than
that (from IBM 7090  times,  IIRC).  It  is  simple,  efficient,  and
powerful.

I see zero reason to drop it.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"If you'll excuse me a minute, I'm going to have a cup of coffee."
- broadcast from Apollo 11's LEM, "Eagle", to Johnson  Space  Center,
Houston July 20, 1969, 7:27 P.M.