[U-Boot-Users] bd_info vs. global_data

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Nov 10 15:33:08 CET 2006

In message <4553E0C4.4010207 at freescale.com> you wrote:

> Is the bd located immediately after the gd in memory?

No, not at all. Actually we start with the gd, and space fopr the  bd
becomes only available after relocation to RAM.

> How about a rule that any function can write to bd_info (to initialize its
> contents), but only the do_bootm_xxx functions can read from it, and only to
> prepare it for passing to Linux.  This would eliminate code like this:
>
> #define OF_TBCLK		(bd->bi_busfreq / 4)

I don't see how such a rule would actually prevent such code...

> and hopefully stuff like this:

No, this is perfectly reasonable and necessary.

> In this case, I don't understand the clocks_in_mhz environment variable.  Is

RTFM.

> this something that we really want to be run-time configurable?

Yes, of course we de. We certainly *do* want to be able to boot  both
old and new Linux kernels and to switch between their different
interfaces in runtime.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Fantasy is like alcohol - too much is bad for you, a little bit makes
the world a better place. Like  an  exercise  bicycle  it  takes  you
nowhere, but it just might tone up the muscles that will. Daydreaming
got  us  where we are today; early in our evolution we learned to let
our minds wander so well that they started coming  back  with  souve-
nirs.   - Terry Pratchett & Stephen Briggs, _The Discworld Companion_